Welcome November! In writer’s world, welcome NaNoWriMo or NaBloPoMo (depending on which one will tickle your fancy)! If you remember, a few weeks ago, I wrote a post about my first introduction to #NaNoWriMo and my journey to becoming a self-published author. #NaNoWriMo is an opportunity for writers and those interested in becoming an author to write 50,000 words or more. #NaBloPoMo has a similar concept, but for bloggers. Bloggers are on a quest to blog daily for the entire month of November. I have signed up for the challenge, and I will be using Being Starkey as my platform to share my experience this time around.
How will this help me? I’m glad you asked. I’m an avid procrastinator. I seriously am. I realized that in order to truly accomplish this goal. I need to develop a schedule writing pattern to help me reach this goal. Last year, I tracked how many words I wrote each day, and it truly helped out. Daily Navigation moved from Chapter 5 to 10 in a matter of weeks. I’m currently on Chapter 14, and I have at least 6 more to go.
The best way to stick with the writing schedule is to:
- Reduce the amount of time I spend on social media.
- Utilize my weekend for writing.
- Spend less time flipping through the television channels.
- Keep phone conversations to daily commute from or going to work.
- Exercise regularly with weekly writing prompts – The Write Block is back! Stay tuned this Wednesday for the first prompt in honor of #NaNoWriMo!
- Develop an accountability partner or group to keep pushing you
- And, most importantly, DON’T QUIT! #NaNoWriMo is only 30 DAYS! It can be done! I just have to GET IT DONE!
I believe #NaNoWriMo or #NaBloPoMo can help writers from procrastinating because you will develop a habit and gain so much support along the way! If you are like me and feel stuck with trying to finish your novel, join the #NaNoWriMo train and GET IT DONE!